Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: A Deadman 360
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:40:10 -0500

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 02:01 PM, Andrew Nemeth wrote:

> Unlike John I use a 16mm full-frame fisheye, so I can
> take fewer shots with more overlap between each.  Makes
> shooting and stitching (in PShop) much easier.  Also,
> you don't cut people's heads off irrespective of how
> close people get (c.f. the girl eating the icecream in
> John's shot).

I have tinkered with wider lenses, eg the 15mm Voigtlander on the
Leica-M, but for this kind of thing you just have to get too damn
close. Even with the roughly 20mm equivalent I used on the N5000,
people have to be standing literally two or three feet from you before
they dominate the frame satisfactorily. The pans I shot with the 15mm
just felt too disengaged. I also like the slightly more cinemascope
feeling from the longer lens. Andrew however has the advantage that his
fisheye probably doesn't suffer from light fall off, which I sometimes
have to battle (successfully) with adjustment layers.

I know that plenty of VR photographers feature people... but I am not
aware of many who take people as their subject, especially shooting in
the uncontrolled environment of the street.

I can see why VR photogs are nervous, since the vast majority of their
work is commercially oriented and thus does not have the
editorial/artistic protection that generally extends to photography in
public places. I am in the fortunate position of never having earned a
cent from my photography (not in the last decade, anyhow).
- --
Johnny Deadman