Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateur vs Professional (long)
From: Pat Perez <pat@patperez.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:18:52 -0800 (PST)

To address a point you made: I've read somewhere on
the internet a hypothesis about pro camera purchases
that while I can't prove correct, it at least seems
likely to be accurate, in my opinion. To paraphrase,
it is easier for amatuers to justify the purchase of
big ticket cameras/lenses specifically because they
*don't* need to amortize it's cost an d make a living
off of it. The thinking being that more high end
Nikon/Canon/Mamiya/Hasselblad gear is not being used
in full-time capacity for income, it is purchased by
those who want and can afford it regardless of a need
to earn it's purchase price back. I suspect it is
harder for a full-time pro to justify new gear
purchases, except for replacement of worn out
equipment.

The upside for the working professional, is that this
increases economies of scale for the manufacturers,
resulting in costs that are lower than they otherwise
might be; and increases the pool of clean condition
used gear in the secondary market.

Pat