Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW -- Criticism or Stroking?
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:34:22 +1100

>I don't mind seeing beginner's pictures.  Everyone was a beginner
>once. I don't mind seeing family snaps.  It's useful to see how they
>can be improved.  And once in a while, somebody's family snap is as
>good as anything the Masters turn out.  I don't live in Paris
>(dammit!) and my subjects are often my friends. So what?  I'll do
>the best I can with what I've got.
>
>I don't always have time to comment.  But I appreciate the chance to
>visit so many places and see them in so many ways through so many
>eyes. And I hope my own efforts have contributed a little.

And it is in this spirit that I have been running the FOM2 project. I
want everyone to feel welcome, to post images and try to improve
their own photography by seeing which ones are selected and which are
rejected by a group of interested (if not necessarily expert)
persons, to compare your work with that posted by others, to share
your part of the world and the parts you visit and experience with
the rest of us, and ultimately with the world.

It has not been an easy year to be running a "family" project. With
the infighting here and the world entering a dangerous and anything
but harmonious period I have felt a little shell shocked. The idea of
exploring what is mainly good on our planet by using our Leicas
seemed a great idea as the new Millenium began: now it seems rather
naive and flawed, but throughout, I have been struck with the genuine
warmth which really does exist in this group, and the genuine hope
which all peace loving peoples hold towards others. Now more than
ever, the world needs understanding and projects which reflect the
feeling of those who are not "in power". So it is with much pride
that I find we will out do year one, in numbers, and I suspect also
in quality.

Watch this space, as soon as I have sorted out the last 300 or so
"late comers" and have a viewing board available, I will let you
know, and you can all look at the world as seen throught the eyes of
the LUG in 2001/2

Cheers and here's luck
- --
Alastair Firkin