Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 43: A hike in the forest with a bunch of 3rd graders
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:07:06 +0100

I always try to find time to participate in various activities and
events at my children's school, both because my son and daughter
appreciate my being there, and because the events usually provide good
photographic opportunities. So, when my daughter's 3rd grade at the
Inter-Community School Zurich had scheduled a hike in the forest around
our baby mountain Pfannenstiel, I joined in. The children had been
learning about flight and had visited the Zeppelin museum in
Friedrichshafen the week before, so part of this excursion was to drop
homemade parachutes from the observation tower.

First, here is the forest before the children arrive:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_43.jpg

The children were also supposed to observe nature and look for rocks,
leaves, bugs, mushrooms etc. Here is Mr. Beard exploring the inside of a
cut-down tree with his pupils:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_43alt1.jpg

The hike ended at a picnic area where the children did the final
preparation of their parachutes:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_43alt2.jpg

Some needed help. Here is the other 3rd grade teacher, Ms. Reichmuth,
mending a parachute:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_43alt3.jpg

I was not the only photographer there:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_43alt4.jpg

Now the big moment: the children get ready to drop their parachutes from
the tower, while teachers and enlisted parents act as timers (there was
a competition to see whose parachute took the longest to reach the ground):
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_43alt5.jpg

Finally, Mr. Beard goes over the results of the competition:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_43alt6.jpg

All seven pictures taken with M7 on Fuji Provia 100F, the first four
with the 24mm Elmarit, and the last three with the 35mm Summilux ASPH.

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw2002.htm

and comments/critique are always welcomed and appreciated.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland