Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak Royal Gold 100
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:25:02 +1000

Phong,

Love the photo. Please don't crop it.

One question. Why do you need to print a 10x8? Why print a negative of 3:2
proportions onto 5:4 proportion paper? You have gone to all that trouble to
compose your image and then "the standard" says you should frame as a 10x8!

This is one of my pet hates. No frames in the 10inch area for 35mm proportions. I
think there should be a standard size of 10x7 and this will accommodate the full
frame 35mm. I realise that most commercial minilab printers do not print this
size but I use three work-arounds.

1.  Give them a digital file with an inch of white along the bottom to make 10x8.
Then have mats cut  to enable you to frame in a 14x11 or theabouts. (Or go to 3.)

2.  10x8 is just a hangover from the days of full plate cameras and everything
was in the proportions of 5:4.  35mm is 3:2 proportions and there is a serious
lack of frames made for this format. 6x4 is too small and 5x7 is close, but the
10x8 is a problem, so I print as a 10x7, which is just about full frame and then
put a 1.5inch mat around it. The Fuji Frontier machine will print a 15x10, so I
just add 2inches to one end for the printer and then cut off the excess.  It will
then fit exactly into a standard 13x10inch frame. I would imagine that this size
is also available in the US.

3. Have a number of your favourite mouldings made into 10x7 frames.

That is the end of my rant for the week.

Rob

Phong wrote:

> I'd like to get a print of this photo, but for the life of me,
> cannot figure a good 8x10 crop.  I'll probably just end up
> printing 8x12.
>
> - Phong

Rob Heyman M.Photog
32 Binyara Street