Subject: Re: [Leica] My first Leica shots
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:37:44 +0200 (MEST)

Excellent advice, as would be expected, coming from Ted. I have a slight
variant on the following technique.

> what the motion was they turn and look right at you. Maybe angrily!  The
> longer you can keep the camera to your eye and watch the world through the
> viewfinder without re-moving the camera people will not pay too much
> attention to you. Or you may find a number of them trying to be polite and
> ducking as they pass in front of you.

I like to keep the camera up in my face, but I press it against a
cheekbone and observe. It doesn't take much movement to raise it to my
eye, the Leica viewfinder being where it is and me being a
right-eye-users, and in addition, it leaves both eyes free for make eye
contact, and smiling, and keeps the number of people ducking out of
politeness to a minimum. They see I'm not ready to shoot yet.

Unfortunately, Per and I are both entering the part of the year where we
have to readjust. It's getting colder and darker out on the streets. Other
people can standardize on one developer/film combination, I need two. One
for the light part of the year and one for the dark. We're approaching my
switch from D-76 to Microphen :) The first snow is out there, gently, but
persistently falling. In a couple of months, less and less will be
happening on the streets besides getting from point A to point B.

Daniel