Subject: RE: [Leica] The Eyes Have It
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:33:47 -0400

You have hit on something quite interesting, Rob. I know that the photos I
take of my own family do not even come close to the quality of the photos I
take of strangers' families, and I believe there are several reasons for
that:

The first reason is that when you are shooting your own family, you are
shooting that which is familiar to you, and when something is familiar, you
do not "see" it; those things which are familiar tend to strike us as
uninteresting, not worthy of photographing. After all, we see them all the
time;

Second, when you are shooting your own family, you are a participant in
events, rather than an observer, and as a participant your vision is sharply
altered from what it would be if you had no connection with the people you
are shooting.

When I spend a day on a shoot of a family I simply watch events unfold, and
look for the visually interesting; Aunt Tilly's new dress isn't worth a
photo; Uncle Jack's sitting by himself and petting the dog is. If Uncle Jack
were my Uncle Jack, I probably would have seen him sitting by himself
petting the dog a hundred times; and therefore I wouldn't photograph him
doing it because I wouldn't "see" him doing it. But because he and the dog
are new to me, I "see" the image.

Ah, but you say, 'the people who get the photos have seen Uncle Jack pet the
dog a hundred times, so why do they want the photo of it?' They want it, and
are thrilled to get it, because they haven't "seen" it a hundred times, and
when they look at the photo they experience that flash of recognition, a
sense of deja vous all over again, if you will.

As to the question of controlling the setting, etc., that comes down to how
we are used to working. You work very successfully by carefully selecting,
and thus controlling, your settings, and posing your subjects in the sense
that you are telling them where to go and what kinds of things to do. So
when you find yourself in a situation where you have no control, you are at
a loss. I, on the other hand, work without any kind of net; I am just a
photographic fly on the wall, and that works best for me. But when I am
forced into a situation where I have to put people into a setting, or
situation, set up the photos, I don't do nearly as well. It's all a matter
of what we're used to.

BTW - Great kid shots - as usual!:-)

B. D.