Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo Telyt Mod System w/ and w/o converters
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:16:59 -0300

Edward:

I am actually using the 400mm Apo-Telyt, the version before the Modular
system.  As for converters, it works great with either or both at the same
time.

I had one of the f5.6 400mm lenses, which I later sold to Doug Herr.  I
found its performance equivalent to that of a Tamron 300 2.8 I had, but
inferior to the Leica 400mm APO.  They are a great buy though for a long
telephoto.

Your comments about the vibration at 800mm is correct.  I found that with
the 2x on, it was hard to get sharp shots.  I needed a steadier tripod and
improved technique.  Not much depth of field at f2.8 either.  Below is a
link to some eagle shots.  Some were done with both converters.

This was with the 2x APO:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/PAW2002/wk5.htm

A few more at 800mm:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/LookingAtMe.htm

At 1120mm f8 ,both converters:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/Birds/eagle-eats-2.jpg

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/Birds/eagle-immature.jpg

The Tamron 300mm F2,8 and 1.4x converter:
http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/Birds/eagle2-5w.jpg
http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/Birds/eagle7w.jpg

A page with most of these images is here:
http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/birds.htm

Regards,

Robert