Subject: RE: [Leica] new photos
From: "Wesson, Leo W" <LWWesson@pier1.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:33:05 -0500

Carl,

The monks and the blurred procession shot were shot at Wat Benchamabophit (the Marble Temple) in Bangkok.  Wat Benchamabophit is one of the most important temples to the Thais and the Royal Family goes there often for special occasions.  The occasion that I was there for was the Buddhist Lenten Celebration.  One on the Princesses were there, as were about a hundred guards and thousands of worshipers.  The guards wouldn't let me take pictures of the Princess before the ceremony (they would shine their flashlights directly into my lens) but once the ceremony started you could go anywhere and do anything as long as you didn't get in the way.Thais are very tolerent of Westerners as long as there aren't too many of them and are not disrespectful.The ceremony that occurs it that the gathered people , led by the oldest monk make three trips around the temple carrying candles and chanting (Candlelight Procession).  After that the monks go into the temple to pray (Monks Bowing).  Everything is basically candlelight or really low light.  Too dark for my M6 to meter (hence my previous questions about low light metering capabilities of the M6 and 7)  so I had to pull out my WAG meter (wild ass guess). Was shooting Fuji 1600 till I ran out, then shot whatever 400 I had pushed to 1600, shooting at mostly 1 sec f/2. I knew that the film would be either camera blurred or motion blurred.  I was lucky and I was unlucky.I have a lot of other shots that are almost great, and if they had been sharper they would have been awsome...As awsome as the memory.

Leo