Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [leica] R9 and R8
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:05:31 +0200

It's quite simple, really:  8.2 = 2^3.2, whereas 9 = 3^2, hence you need two
2's and a 3 for the R8, and a single 2 and 3 for the R9. I have heard from a
reliable source close to the Leica number allocation department that there
is a shortage of the number 2 in Solms, so they decided to save a 2 per unit
by using the R9 designation.

Maybe Seth can confirm?

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com