Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Virus stuff....
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 11:17:54 -0400

"Strictly speaking, these aren't viruses but Trojan Horses. You'd think we'd
have learned after 3000 years after the original that unsolicited gifts from
strangers should be viewed with a certain degree of suspicion. If you get
an attachment that you didn't expect from someone that you don't know,
delete it. If it's from someone you do know, ask them what it is before you
open it. Simple really and cheaper than anti-virus software. Even Outlook
with its built-in security flaws won't open an attachment without asking you
first.
Neil"

_______________________

It isn't just attachments that can get you. It is possible to embed a file
into the text of a message, that can be executed directly or through an
interpreting utility, and cause something bad to happen.

I suggest that folks not have a preview function running - that is a window
below the inbox that automatically displays the message's contents. It's
convenient, and enabled by default, but if that is on, you are opening the
message just by highlighting the item, and if the offender is at the top of
the list when you start Outlook, you can't avoid opening the message.

This very thing caused a rash of PITA problems in an office I supported. I
think most mail clients can be set to only interpret plain text, but I'm
not sure that would always save you.

Really the best defence is an updated antivirus program. There is a free
one, but I can't think of it's name right now.

CP