Subject: [Leica] FS Moving On
From: Jim Hedger <jrhedger@pdq.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 09:54:52 -0500

Due to constricted time available and the reality of what is keeping me from
doing a lot of shooting. I am going digital. I spent the summer
experimenting with an Olympus c2100 digital and realized the time lag with
film between exposure, development, scanning, cataloguing, photo
manipulating and printing was not working with my lifestyle. During my
college days I had scores of time to shoot, wet develop and print. I loved
every moment. At fifty, a more than full time career, three teenage driving
children and a project demanding wife doing a home upgrade, I cannot fit my
film based photographic pursuits into my life. Hence I have a bunch of great
equipment hanging around. I cannot run the children and wife off (it is a
love thing) and I cannot afford to have new and old equipment sitting idly
in their cases. I will not list everything here but I will be selling all my
film equipment. I have Nikon F, F2, F2 w/meter, scores of lenses, FM2n with
motor drive, M7, M6, M2, Lenses, SL w/lenses, light meters all going up for
sale here and then on to auction. Hope to buy a high end digital and couple
of lenses with the proceeds. I know I will regret the sale when the children
are gone and the house is finished. I did the same when I got out of college
and sold my last Leica kit, but that is life. I would rather shoot with a
more time friendly system to capture dear memories, than hold on to dear
memories with equipment. Over the years I have learned that the photographs
I have been happiest with, printed, matted and displayed were the product of
feeling and not a product of technique or "system" (even though I was
traditionally trained). Maybe I am just being lazy but I would rather
believe it is just recognizing that there is equipment out there when used
as a tool, with a minimal amount of effort allows me to produce images of
quality and content that makes me happy. In the end isn't this what we are
all doing this for? Except maybe the Professionals, which I gave up
aspirations to achieve in the early 70's when I left Brooks. If anyone would
like to discuss this please contact me privately via e mail at
jrhedger@pdq.net. I hope this is not misconstrued as a true FS as I prefer
to follow forum guidelines. The FS will follow on Friday.

Best regards,
Jim

Replies: Reply from "Gene" <sop@erols.com> (Re: [Leica] FS Moving On)