Subject: RE: [Leica] re: how easy/expensive is digital
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:30:47 -0400

Hi Adam,

> >> Digital doesn't have the latitude that film does. Exposures have to
> >> be done with greater care. Maybe new sensor technology does a better
> >> job.
> >
> >That is purely camera/sensor dependant.  That's not true overall.
> >

> Ah ha! So what current camera/sensor combinations have the same exposure
> latitude as film?

Most any of the high end 35mm-esque digital cameras should handle 8 stops or
more.  The new Kodak 14n has a dynamic range of 69dB, which is about 11.5
stops.  The professional backs can handle 12...and that's actually "old"
technology (Leaf Volare/Cantare).  Check the Kodak web site, and see what
their full frame CCD offering is.  That'll tell you what the sensor is
capable of.

> I know that in the video world the chips in the HDTV cameras have
> no where near
> the latitude that you'd find in Super-16 or 35mm.

Different technology, they use different sensors.  They are much faster, as
they have to run at a much higher frame rate.

> What are they and when will we see the price-point drop to
> non-heroic levels?

I don't set the prices...but the Kodak 14n is priced at $4k...which is a lot
of bang for the buck compared to the competition.

> Peltier cooling for the chip is cheating.

Why?  Cooling is actually key to getting performance from these sensors!

Regards,

Austin