Subject: RE: [Leica] Thoughts on digital and the impact on Leica
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:22:24 -0400

> .....I suppose which side of the fence you are on means you are going to
> promote your team.

Steve,

You're certainly correct, but badly done testing (or biased, intentional or
not, reading of the results) is simply unacceptable.

I don't mean to sound arrogant at all, but I'm not on any fence with respect
to this issue.  I have been designing digital imaging equipment for over 20
years, and I have done VERY extensive testing in this area, and I know the
facts first hand.  I KNOW that claim is simply wrong.  I've done hundreds
and hundreds of tests, and the conclusions drawn by this "article" are
simply flawed, or misleading at the least.

A VERY poorly exposed, developed and scanned, 10 year outdated high speed
film that was sitting on the dashboard of one's south facing car, in
Florida, for a week, before being developed, would probably be inferior to
an 11M pixel Bayer patterned camera.  Is that "fair" to use images from that
as the poster child for film?  Of course not.

Also, sharpness has nothing to do with resolution, as I stated in another
post.  It's something that is commonly misperceived.

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (RE: [Leica] Thoughts on digital and the impact on Leica)