Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts on digital and the impact on Leica
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@icommag.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:35:32 -0400

 Don Dory wrote:

>> This was posted earlier but anyone interested in digital should
>> re-read this
>> article,
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/1ds/1ds-field.shtml
>>
>> Pay attention to the comparison to film.  You will notice that this 11MP
>> camera is resolving more than film with the 70-200L lens.

Austin Franklin chimes in:

> That calls to question the integrity of the article and testing.  I KNOW
> that 11M pixels from a Bayer pattern CCD is FAR less than most any properly
> developed and exposed film.
>
> I'm being nice here, but what I really want to say is that claim is simply
> BS.
>
> Austin

.....I suppose which side of the fence you are on means you are going to
promote your team. Michael Richtman, who wrote that review and owns the
website, has come down on the digital side. Michael, BTW, also owns a Leica
M6ttl and has been a long time Leica user.

I have resisted making any comments on the Leica SLR/Digital/AF/M/Digital
M/R9/etc problems (if there are any problems).

But I wonder what is Leica to do with people like me who has NO interest in
Digital? In fact I have no interest in Auto-Focus or Program Modes or
Digital backs, etc, etc like all the Nikon, Canon, Minoltas, etc, etc have.
So what is Leica to do? Last winter I was seriously thinking about switching
from my trusty low-tech Nikon F3 to the equally low-tech R6.2, and Leica
discontinues the R6.2. This might be a dilemma for Leica, trying to balance
their product for the high-techies and the low-techies. I am perfectly happy
with my M2 and M3.

sl