Subject: [Leica] Martin Parr
From: "Andrew Amundsen" <andy@tcinternet.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:13:07 -0700

>From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> wrote (snip):

> Parr is fascinating. I was very very impressed with him in the late
> eighties, but he seems to have lost a lot of his edge. "Last Resort" is
> pretty good, but "Small World" about global tourism really failed to make
> any kind of sustained point, despite the occasional excellent snap.

To me he's showing the absurdity of how we can look and act as tourists.

He was acussed of ridiculing mankind in his work and he resonded that
mankind IS ridiculous.
HCB I read actually confronted Parr to tell him how he "was from a
completely different planet" than himself.

It's a great chapter in the book:
'MAGNUM-Fifty years at the front line of history'
by Russell Miller,Grove Press 1997  ,That goes into Parr's membership issue
at Magnum, pages 294-298.

It's a great book and quite interesting in it's membership
dynamics,infighting,competition,"Artist' Vs. 'Journalist', etc... and all
the history of it's creation and members lives.

~Andrew

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Martin Parr)