Subject: Re: [Leica] URL for my DIY b+w paper dev. tank
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:10:47 +0200

Hello Henning,

the Nova clip has one disadvantage, it does not allow you to put the
paper deep enough into the tank. So if you move the clip sideways,
and with just a little bit of force, the wave you create may be
somewhat higher than the free space in the slot and so the contents
tend to flow with the wave  into the adjacent slot. Therefore I move
the papers up and down. No waves. Even though an inch or two of the
paper is up in the air for a second, this does not result in uneven
development. I guess there is enough developer on the surface and in
the paper to take care of that.

My next step is therefore a DIY clip that is deeper and thinner. I'll
keep the LUG posted.   ;-)  and then I will build a processor for 12
x 16 inch paper, now that I know how to avoid the pitfalls

Chris

>>The following is what I posted to the pure silver list, just in
>>case there is a b+w printer on the LUG
>>
>>http://www.almqvist.net/chris/tank/
>>
>>Here is a photo of the paper developer tank I just made. Thanks to
>>those who helped with advice. Richard will be pleased to read that
>>some of the advice given by him is also being followed.
>>
>>.. and yes, as you will notice, I do not have a camera with shift
>>and tilt, and the scan is a straight scan. Perhaps I  could have
>>adjusted it with Photoshop, but I prefer my darkroom
>>
>>--
>>Christer Almqvist
>>D 20255 Hamburg and / or
>>F 50590 Regnéville sur Mer
>
>Hello Christer,
>
>This looks interesting, but I have a question. How do you agitate
>the print, or _do_ you agitate? Do you use the clip to jiggle the
>print?
>
>With respect to the perspective of the container, I don't think you
>need shift and tilt. If all of the object is above or below the
>horizon, converging verticals are not really an issue, and with 35mm
>DOF is sufficient that tilts aren't necessary. However, the vertical
>lines should generally all converge to a point that is directly
>above or below the center of the print. However, this is all just
>silly nitpicking :-).
>
>I just started reading the LUG again after a while; there was just
>too much nonsense going on.
>
>All the best,
>
>Henning

- --