Subject: Re: [Leica] Downloadable Erwin Puts Book
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:16:45 +0200

English is not my first language either, but I write and speak it pretty
well.

I think Erwin does well for a non-native language speaker. I couldn't write
as well in Italian, for instance.

I have to admit to being taken aback by the lack of common decency and
bullying tactics on this list, although I should be inured to it by now. I
can't think of any other list where such low standards of behaviour obtain.

So far, none of his critics has done anything except fling mud at Erwin. I
have to admit to finding lens reports meagre fare, and some of Erwin's
statements about cameras and lenses are infused with a rather laughable
fervour, but no-one can deny his achievement.

I have been accused of being an egotistical shit, and of having a hidden
agenda in disagreeing with BD Colen. Well, it is impossible to refute such
accusations. I would just point out that I have not publicised my recent
articles about the ME on ZNet on this list, precisely to avoid pointless
controversy.

I find BD's bullying attacks on the likes of Alfie Wang to be completely
gratuitous. Similarly I find his insinuations against Erwin Puts, which have
been repeated with wearying predictability since I have frequented this
list, to be completely gratuitous and undocumented. I happen to disagree
with BD about Israel/Palestine, but I would never suggest that he, in
disagreeing with me about other topics, was doing so because of this
political issue. In fact, I pointed BD at my recent ZNet essay about Israeli
colonialism in good faith and he replied in a very complimentary vein, so I
had no reason to suspect that he was keeping this ace up his sleeve.

I don't know Stuart Phillips from Adam and, after his recent posts, have
little interest in making his acquaintance. But if he wishes to expand on
his unprovoked attack either on or off this list, I'll be happy to discuss
it with him.

The canon now requires me to unsubscribe in a huff. But I'm not going to,
because despite the disgraceful behaviour that surface from time to time
here, I still enjoy the list.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990