Subject: RE: [Leica] Downloadable Erwin Puts Book
From: "Ernest Nitka" <enitka@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:50:55 -0400

Neil I applaud your desire to get out and take pictures - it is beautiful
here in Syracuse but I am stuck having to work and won't get out.  That
aside if the material from Puts is that important then why read it?  I have
his book and one day plan on reading sections of it to understand some
basics of optical quality.  I think it also depends on one's milieu - I'm a
physician where knowing about conflict of interest is a constant problem.
BD is /was a journalist trying to dig below the surface to find the real
story.  I wish I could be accepting of all that was put in front of me -
perhaps it's my paranoia and not my profession but I think that its is
natural and healthy to put Mr. Puts words into a special category - limbo if
you will.  He's not like Consumer Union where they go un-announced to a
retail store , buy the test item at the prevailing price and test it with
results standing on their own.  They also get items from several
manufacturers to test together.  Anwyay enjoy your walk and god save you if
you run across a demonstation with placards composed entirely of MTF charts.
Oh iand if this post hasn't inflamed anyone yet then let me re-iterat that I
think Leica needs to correct the flare problem rather than bring out the R9!

ernie