Subject: [Leica] Digital Truly upon us?
From: Red Dawn <reddawn@staythismoment.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:40:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

sorry if this is another digital thread again......but it's a burning
question inside me......so pls hear me out :)

Before i got my M system about 3 months ago (i think), i was using a Canon
EOS D30 extensively in conjunction with an EOS 1v. I shoot freelance as
well as my own personal shoots, and the D30 found extensive use at
weddings, events, concerts and other photojournalistic work, including
regular contributions to a local Church magazine. Digital was a huge
convenience but was never a strict necessity though - i never had to deal
with fast turnaround times like in the papers. I was a firm digital
believer.

After i got my M system, i decided i wanted to have a way to digitise my
images and do my own digital darkroom processing and printing instead of
leaving that to a lab. The D30 had depreciated much by then, Photokina was
a couple of months away, and i wanted to cut losses on that so as to get a
new digital body later. And besides, with my M6 TTL now occupying the slot
of the ONE FAVOURITE CAMERA i would bring to that proverbial isolated
island, i figured i would be shooting a lot more film than ever before. So
i sold my D30 and in return, bought a Nikon Coolscan IV.

The M system is fantastic, delivering stunning images of excellent
technical quality. (but of course we already know that ;)). What that is
the problem, however, is translating all that optical goodness into
digital form. I can't seem to do it. :(

No matter how i see it, the D30 images always seem more luminous (for lack
of a better word). The colours are more accurate, the overall image has a
crystal clarity unmatched by the scanned image. Especially for high ISO
images. The Coolscan images are 70 mb conpared to the 17 mb of the D30 -
both 16 bit TIFFs. But despite the apparent increased resolution, the D30
images still look better to me. The lack of visible grain helps a LOT in
APPARENT resolution of fine detail, and at ISO 400 to1600, the D30 images
clearly surpass scanned images in terms of clarity, grain / noise,
sharpness.

i've tried all sorts of film, slow to high speed. I miss digital most for
concert shoots where high ISO is mandatory. I've tried scanning slides
(including pushed slides), which does give good quality, but under
available indoor light, the color casts are horrible, and it isn't always
easy to correct that, especially in mixed lighting situations. The D30
handled mixed lighting with ease, and white balance is much easier to
correct with the D30 digital files. A badly underexposed D30 image also
corrects very easily in Photoshop with minimal degradation. Can't say the
same for that of a scanned image!

Sharpening scanned images introduces grain, while the D30 images sharpens
very well. I don't think this has anything to do with using a 2900 dpi
scanner - i believe even with a 4000 dpi scanner i'm going to be seeing
the same results.

Using a lightbox and a good Rodenstock loupe i could see the goodness of
all that Leica glass in all their glory. i understand that making your own
b/w prints will allow one to see it as well. But are we then limited to
these conventional means of viewing the images?

With the advent of all the latest 11 to 14 megapixel digital SLRs on the
market by Canon, Kodak etc, i keep wondering if digital is truly upon us
right now. The D30's only 3 megapixels. These new cameras _should_ blow
film scanned images right out of the water, no?

i mean, look at a scaled down output from the upcoming EOS 1Ds:
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/EOS1DS/downloads/Portrait2L.JPG

The only reason i'm using film is because of the Leica M system. And
that's scary, cos i'm putting up with a multitude of inconveniences
(processing costs, film scanning times, scanning woes) but not getting
results that are at least as good as digital!

wat am i doing wrong? how do you guys eke out that last bit of quality
from scanning?

Red Dawn

ps: i regret selling the D30. They say it's not a pro body and too
plasticky, and wouldn't last. Mine functioned perfectly for more than a
year, in rain, at the beach, survived hard knocks etc and refused to
break. They say the shutter might wear out, but i had close to 25,000
shots and it's still working perfectly. They say dust will cloud the CMOS
sensor, but mine never had any dust problems, and i'm not the most careful
person in the world.

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Digital Truly upon us?)
Reply from "Dizel" <webmaster@fucha.pl> (Re: [Leica] Digital Truly upon us?)