Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Grain aliasing
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:51:26 -0400

Austin, thank you for correcting my poor use of language.  I was trying to
get to the point that the dye clouds in the two films mentioned are similar
in size and as dye clouds are not sharp edged as say TMZ in Rodinal would
be.  The scanner was treating two similar films differently.  My real point
was that I think Mr Ford's difficulties lay within the programming of his
scanner and not aliasing.

Perhaps I'm misinformed but grain aliasing is when the light dark pattern of
the grain coincides with the spacing of the CCD's so that small clumps are
seen as much larger clumps.  I think it would be a good  learning experience
if those on this list with more experience in the scanning business were to
discuss at greater length differences in grain size and shape or dye cloud
shape to the scanning process.  Many people will continue to shoot film and
then scan, so this is possibly very important information.

Likewise, it may explain why individuals report such widely divergent
results for different films: different scanner designs produce different
results on a film by film basis.

If CCD technology renders sharp or softened silver halide differently then
different developers might be chosen.  Likewise, some films with silver
halide spacing "just right" might scan more smoothly than others for a given
CCD array or whatever is used for the sensor.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com