Subject: [Leica] R8,9,10,...What is the camera for?
From: Martin Krieger <krieger@usc.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 20:38:53 -0700

I bought a Leica R8 after I held it in my hand. It felt right, and the view
through the finder was as bright as possible, and with my glasses I was
doing rather well in seeing the frame. It was straightforward to use, for my
purposes which are for the most part urban landscapes in which detail down
to the smallest parts is a big plus. The PC SA 28  is a delight to use, and
a very fine lens. (And the 19/2.8 is too.).  When I have 20"x30" prints
made, they are fine.

Holding, viewing, setting, and lenses.

I realize that those who are doing lots of flash work, or who are dealing
with peculiar lighting and need more "intelligence" in the metering since
they cannot have the time to use a spotmeter carefully, will have other
needs, and other cameras.
Other 35mm SLR cameras might be as good as the R8,9,... for all I know--for
my purposes.
So I ask myself what more might I want. Ideally an even more capable PC lens
(were that possible for any reasonable cost, that is more shift)--although
the PC SA is about as good as any that is made (maybe 24mm would be nice).
All I am saying is that cameras are the instruments to do your work. They
have to help you do the work, not get in the way, make you feel good in
using them. It strikes me there is a market (maybe small) for those who want
very high quality lenses so they can have very information-rich negatives
and transparencies. I have not done comparisons, but it seems to be the case
that the R lenses I use are as good as they come (out to the edges of the
image--the center is not enough for my work).
Martin Krieger