Subject: [Leica] Forty two cubed - shot for critique...
From: "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:30:24 +0100

I recently acquired a Leica M2 and a couple of weeks ago came across a 50mm
Elmar lens of the same vintage.  This image was one of the last frames on
the first test film using this camera/lens combination.

http://www.leica-gallery.net/mark-pope/image-33354.html

Not a bad lens IMHO - nice and sharp, even wide open.  Other shots show that
it is pretty susceptible to flare, but then coatings have come an awfully
long way in 42 years!

Focus isn't quite spot on - Karin's eyes aren't sharp, but that's down to
the operator rather than the lens and obviously, there wasn't an awful lot
of DOF at 1m (the lens's closest focusing distance).

The shot was printed on Ilford MG IV paper at grade 3.  The newspaper was
burned in at grade 0 to tone it down somewhat.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this shot.

Your comments and critique on or off-list would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark Pope
Swindon Wilts, UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk