Subject: Re: [Leica] finder flare
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:46:39 -0600

Hi Stephen,

The tech in question is Gerry Smith of Kindermann Canada. One of the
best in the world; he knows his Ms and goes way way back. So now I will
give you the long story.

I bought a used M4-2 which was a late production one from the second to
last batch produced. It had the usual sluggish slow speeds and the
vertical alignment was out. Imagine my chagrin at discovering that late
M4-2 cameras have the new style of finder mechanism which needs a
special tool to adjust the vertical alignment! So off it goes to Gerry
for a CLA. I am on the L-U by this time and I am getting pretty annoyed
with all the whining about viewfinder flare. The camera comes back and
everything is great.

A year later I decide to take the plunge and get a new TTL. Right out of
the box the viewfinder flares. I carefully check all of my cameras and
the M2 and the late M4-2 are fine, no flare. Oh well, I guess the
whiners were right! I sold the M4-2 to finance the TTL and learned to
live with the flare.

Two years later, I am getting cocky and thinking I need a third body. So
I get another M4-2, right from the very first batch of production
cameras. Out it comes from the box and it flares like my TTL! I check
and the early style vertical alignment is there. What the h***! Anyhow
the camera is soon out for a CLA and I ask Gerry about putting in a six
frame mask set. He tells me maybe. It seems that to fit in the six frame
mask set you have to remove a viewfinder element (the missing element!).
Often when he removes the element to fit the mask, it affects the
superimposed image. As you move your eye from side to side the image
drifts back and forth making it difficult to focus large aperture long
focus lenses. My camera was one of the unfortunate ones so no six frame
mask set for me.

While we were talking about the six frame mask set, I ask about flare,
the missing element and if my camera has its original finder. I do have
the original finder and he says that the missing element does not cause
the flare problem. The later finders have a problem with stray light
bouncing around. We did not talk much about it but it makes sense as you
can get the flare to go by shielding the viewfinder illumination window.

So ends a long story,

John Collier