Subject: [Leica] Re: scanning B and W - Scan Grayscale or RGB
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:10:30 -0500

Ernest:

>when scanning Black and White is it preferred to scan grayscale or RGB
>- what are the pros and cons of either way. I realize file size will be
>different but is there in general an advantage one way or the other?
>I'm using a Nikon scanner

I've heard from several reliable sources that scanning in color and then
converting can many times yield better results.

That said, the results aren't *that* much better.  It's easier for me to
deal with 40 meg files than 120 meg files, so I scan in 48 bit color only
for color images.  Otherwise, I scan in 16 bit B&W.

Eric

Message from Ernest Nitka <enitka@twcny.rr.com> ([Leica] scanning B and W - Scan Grayscale or RGB)