Subject: Re: [Leica] need help-Paris Luggers (Purchasing Power)--now Amsterdam shops
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:55:46 +0200

Sam,

> Thanks everyone for all the info. Elvis has left the country. I forgot
> about VAT which makes a big difference. I understand you can get it back
> at the airport but the one time I tried it was a royal pain.

In most cases it is not too difficult nowadays. The bigger problem is, as I
wrote initially, that the company that administers the "Tax Free for
Tourists" scheme takes a hefty cut of the refund. That is why I recommend
dealing only with the retailers that do it themselves. When I bought a lens
from La Maison du Leica last year, I just had to have customs stamp the
receipt when I left France (that step is also required when using the other
scheme) and then I mailed it back to La Maison du Leica. The VAT refund was
on the same Visa statement as the original purchase.

> On to another subject: Does anyone know the story behind the little
> camera shop attached to the cathedral in Köln? Does the cathedral have
> anything to do with the shop? Are they squatters? Inquiring minds want
> to know.

You must be thinking of Foto Gregor. I do not think they have anything to do
with the cathedral, they just wanted to rent some prime space with lots of
tourists walking buy. They have another shop in the center of Cologne, where
I bought my R8 a couple of years ago.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman