Subject: Re: [Leica] need help-Paris Luggers (Purchasing Power)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 06:17:20 +0200

Sam,

There are a number of photo shops, new and used, Leica and otherwise, on
Boulevard Beaumarchais (La Maison du Leica is one of them), near the
Bastille metro station. I have usually found prices on Leica things much
higher in France than in Germany. On used stuff you could get lucky, of
course.

Regarding the French VAT, it is 20.5% and you can get it back from La Maison
du Leica and most other retailers if you live outside the EU. A couple of
things to keep in mind:

- - if the shop has a "Tax Free for Tourists" sign, then you can the money in
cash at the airport when departing, but the company that does the processing
will take a large cut as its fee. For that reason, I prefer the shops which
do the refund themselves: you get your receipt stamped by customs on your
way out of the country, send it back to the shop, which will then credit
your credit card. Takes a bit longer but you get it all back that way.

- - the above may not apply to used items, whose prices contain much less VAT,
because on a used item, VAT is only payable on the dealer's margin. But this
also depends on whether the dealer bought the item from another dealer or
from a private individual--so you need to ask!

- - if you go to La Maison du Leica, be prepared to spend a long time waiting
around if there are other customers. People chat a lot there and
transactions take a long time.

All in all, if you really want to buy the above items cheap, take a trip to
Germany.

Nathan

Sam Krneta wrote:

> My wife and her friend will be in Paris this coming week. I'm looking
> for a few items to add to my stable.
>
> New or used:
> M7
> Contax T3
> Noctilux
> 35 Summilux ASPH
>
> Does it make any financial sense to shop in Paris for these items?
>
> Sam Krneta

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland