Subject: [Leica] Yosemite dreams
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:07:32 -0700

on 9/8/02 5:54 PM, Don Dory at dorysrus@mindspring.com wrote:

> I will be in Yosemite and the area in early October.  Does any one have
> success or failure recipes for Mariposa Grove, Mono Lake, and any other
> area's in the environs.  Lens selection will run from 15 to 400 so pretty
> much anything is possible.  SWMBO will be along so probably only four or
> five 4:00 AM treks into Patriarch Grove for example.
>
> So, what works and why?

Don, IMHO the Yosemite Valley isn't terribly photogenic in early October.
All the good spots for fall colors are on the east (US395) side of the
Sierra, for example, at Conway Summit (between Bridgeport/Bodie and Lee
Vining), at Convict Lake, Rock Creek Lake, Onion Valley, etc. I pass on Mono
Lake because I don't care for it for photography. Where would b&w shooters
be without Bodie?
4AM is a bit early for sunrise at Patriarch in October, and it takes a while
to motor up there in the dark, even if you're camping at Grandview. I assume
you know how to dress for pre-dawn work at 11,000 feet, and how to meter at
that elevation.
I don't have anything longer than 2x normal so I'll defer to Doug. I've seen
people use fill flash on the bristlecones; I don't use any flash. A sturdy
tripod that extends to at least 5 ft with multi-position leg angles is a
must. You'll also want to be able to easily flip from landscape to portrait
orientation.
Feel free to contact me off-line for more detail; I have been to the eastern
Sierra at least twice a year for a good many years. I'll be in the White
Mountains again later this month, for a week.
Oliver Bryk