Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions from BD Colen - First three copies for free.
From: DFangon@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:18:57 EDT

bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< only an Alfie Wang is that deluded. >>

The way I see it, Alfie has the following transgressions:

1)  He is not a good photographer, according to the opinion of the self
appointed afficionados of LUG

2)  He either is incapable of listening to "good" advice or refuses to listen
to "good" advice.

3)  He has put up his work for sale but grossly overpriced his work.

4)  He grossly overrated the quality of his work and assigned fancy names to
them like "Existentialist Monograph, etc."

For these transgressions, some people on this list found it incumbent upon
themselves to abuse and insult him.  They are not satisfied with tearing his
work apart, they call him all kinds of names.  Witness this:

    "His "craft" is easily the worst I have seen in a long time."

    "Okay, enough is a bleeping nuff! It's time to point out that the bleeping
    Emperor is stark raving naked - and more than a bit mad!"

    "Drop a load of crap off at Kinkos......"

    "which would be fine if he exhibited one scintilla of talent or
originality and was developing a unique style and vision.  But he hasn't, and
he isn't...

    "while offering this kind of crap - and I use the word advisedly - to the
world is
truly appalling."

    "What Alfie is doing is demeaning and insulting to all of us who have
spent years working at our craft - whether as hobbyists or professionals -
honing  our skills to the point where we can honestly say, "I am a
photographer."

People can be honest.  People can also be mean.  What I see above is not
honesty, it's meanness.  I have a dog (Champion collie, in the top 10 in the
US).  He flunked training school 3 times.  He gets better treatment than
Alfie.  Just because he does not have the talent to be a good photographer
according to the standards of the self appointed self important folks on this
LUG does not give anybody the license to spew the kind of venom that we see
above.  Since when did it become a crime to be a bad photog or overestimate
the quality of one's work?  Let the punishment fit the crime, and in this
instance, I don't even see a crime.

Dante

Replies: Reply from David Mason <dcm@pobox.com> (Re: [Leica] Opinions from BD Colen - First three copies for free.)
Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Opinions from BD Colen - First three copies for free.)