Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash -- and a Virus update
From: Emilio Perea <eperea@walkereng.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:51:12 -0500

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:50:21PM -0400, B. D. Colen wrote:
> God, if they're going to do all this blocking, why can't they block
> Macys.com, WANT A CHEAP MORTGAGE, and Look At These Photos of My Sister and
> leave the rest of us alone?!!

They can't.  SMTP does not support authentication, so I could send
millions of messages pretending to be bdcolen@earthlink.net, so he would
get all the bounces (and probably have his account suspended by his
ISP).  Some mail server administrators would block mail from his
account, but my next batch of spam would "come" from another address, so
that wouldn't bother me in the least.

It is possible to block mail based on the sender's envelope address, but
that works only for the tiny percentage of spammers who don't fake that
address.  It is also possible to block SMTP connections from a server or
network used by spammers, but I suspect that most of them are relaying
spam due to the administrator's stupidity rather than malice.  I am now
blocking mail from about 1500 servers and 50 networks plus more than
1100 domains.  But I can do that because I run what is now my own mail
server.  I couldn't do that a few months ago when it was still a company
server, since I could not be certain that I was not blocking legitimate
mail.

I hate to say it, but I don't think a solution to the spam problem is
possible until SMTP is replaced -- and I don't think that is possible.

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (RE: [Leica] Flash -- and a Virus update)