Subject: RE: [Leica] Flash -- and a Virus update
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:51:19 -0700

On 9/9/02 B. D. Colen  wrote:

>I use Norton's virus scan, keep it running in background, and last updated
>it a couple days ago....so I hope it's not me...

I keep wondering if these viruses are an act of cyber-war. There's something
that just doesn't feel right about the way this one propogates.

In a way it's the equivalent of flying an airplane into the World Trade Center.
The whole internet works because routers and users trust the system. These
viruses make us distrust, which inhibits communication.

At some point the net infrastructure will have to adjust and be more formal
about accepting packets, making sure they are coming from who they claim to be
from. In the early days these kinds of security problems weren't an issue but
now servers and routers need to be trusted.

I have a whole array if IP addresses that I won't receive mail from. But what if
we had to filter light in the same way - sorry: those wavelengths are too
dangerous to receieve so we filter them out. So much for purple.

Sigh.

Adam

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Flash -- and a Virus update)