Subject: [Leica] RF question from an SLR kind of guy
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 07:33:43 -0700

Just been looking through some of the photos referenced in the last digest.
While looking at Neal's sunflowers, it hit me (the question, not the
sunflower).  How do you rangefinder people know the appropriate f-stop to
use to get the DOF you want?  I know there is a DOF scale, but that doesn't
tell you how a particular background will react to a given f-stop.  Do you
take many photos at different stops and choose the best?????  Is it just
experience?

I am constantly using the DOF preview button on my SLR's.  On my old Rollei
SL-35 it was a must.  Stopped down metering, while a pain in some low light
situations, really allowed you to preview all your photos DOF because when
you pressed the meter button, the lens had to stop the lens down to make the
meter reading.  On my R4 and R8, it is a bit less convenient.  Pressing the
DOF previw actually messes up the metering, so it makes an additional step.
Meter, then check DOF, then perhaps meter again and take picture.  Or use
aperture priority and check DOF.  With the Rollie, it was all done in one
step, then take the picture.  I wonder why cameras with DOF previews do not
lock the meter reading when the DOF button is engaged???

Anyway, I have always thought that f-stop is more important than shutter
speed in most situations, and pass this on to my students.  I had a friend,
and great photographer, visit my class once many years ago and he told the
class he was going to teach them how to take pictures fast.  I cringed a
bit.  Then he expounded.  The FAST rule is Focus, Aperture, Shutter, Take
your time.  I had never heard this rule at that time, and I have used it in
my class ever since (25 years).

Thanks, and thanks to all those who post pictures even in these turbulent
LUG times.  Pictures are what it is all about.

Aram

This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
destroyed in making it.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher, Naches High School
101 W. 5th. St / P. O. Box 159