Subject: Re: [Leica] Trip to Japan
From: Charles Hahn <chadgretch@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 22:35:40 -0700 (PDT)

Don't bother getting the rail pass before you go.  You
don't save any money.  When you get there you can buy
a pass that is good for a week that cost about $30.00.
 I can't remember what the pass is called but most of
the ticket sellers have a little English.

Kyoto is good for taking pictures of temples and old
style buildings.  There is also an area where the
geishas are.  If you are lucky you might see a real
geisha, just don't be fooled by the girls who dress up
like them.

In the hills on the East (?) side of Kyoto is a park
where they feed the monkeys.  For 500 yen you can walk
up the hill and be surrounded by more monkeys than you
can believe.  I went in the morning, right at
breakfast.  They feed them 3 times a day.  I don't
know what they do after their meals, they might run
off into the woods and disappear for all I know.

There plenty of good camera stores everywhere in
Japan. Processing is more expensive than in the states
but film and other things can be had cheaply.  Not
Leica though.  If you have a Nikon or a Canon this
might be a good time to get lens caps and things.
They are very inexpensive.  I think a Nikon 52mm lens
cap was around $2.00.  Microfiber cloths, especially
Microdear, which is very good are also worth picking
up.

Also in camera stores and in bookstores are great
magazines dealing with Leicas. Lots of good pictures.

Sorry to go on for so long but I hope this helps.

Feel free to email me and I will try to remember the
name of the camera stores in Kyoto.

Chad Hahn

chadgretch@yahoo.com