Subject: Re: [Leica] So many issues, so little time
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:02:58 +0200

The whole point is that that is a very ideologically driven point of view.
We all work hard, yes (well, I do) - but to suggest that the hard work of a
factory owner and the hard work of his labourers are essentially the same is
to cancel out the political and economic power differentials between them,
and that is the defining aspect of their relationship. No doubt the
supervisors and the toilet cleaners in a railway station all work hard, but
to suggest that their work has the same economic and political value is to
ignore the very identities of both players. One is a west indian toilet
cleaner and the other is a white supervisor. They all have sweat on their
brows, but that sweat has a completely different taste for both of them.

We are all the same can only be true if you discard all power relationships
to start with. So, FOM was so significant, coming as it did when Western
intellectuals were celebrating the End of Ideology - precisely because it
was cancelling out the power relationships (the history) that underlie its
subjects identities, replacing them with a bland , unarguable natural order.
That is a strongly ideological stance.

R.