Subject: RE: [Leica] Long-term value; was Portrait of Marianne = bad mistake
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:24:13 -0400

Yes, Seth, Leica equipment does hold its value well compared to other camera
brands - no question. But $151 invested in 1976 at 5% with annual
compounding would have been $400 in 1987, and today would be $832.91. (I may
well be off a bit as I am a math clutz.) But the point is that your lens did
not gain in value no matter how you look at it...and we're not even talking
about inflation - what you paid for that lens in 2002 dollars, compared to
what you'd get for it today...

As to the quality - I don't think that there is any question that Leica has
always produced incredibly well made equipment. Even with the complaints
about problems with today's Ms and Rs, they are still by far the best made
35 mm cameras on the market. And the build quality of the lenses has always
been,and remains, truly remarkable. At the same time, it is more than a bit
of a myth that Leica has always made top quality 35 mm camera lenses. Yes,
today's M lenses are terrific, as are those of the recent past. But when you
start talking about lenses from the 40s, 50s, and even some from the 60s,
and compare those lenses to the rangefinder lenses compared to Zeiss, Nikon,
and even Canon, they don't look all that terrific.

B. D.