Subject: Re: [Leica] Small pocketable camera
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:09:05 +0200

Hi Logan,

I will second those who recommended the Ricoh GR1v--IF you can live with 28mm
as your normal lens. For me it was too wide, so I sold it. I have in the past
owned a Leica Minilux (not the zoom), and as other have said, the lens is
excellent, and 40mm is a very nice general-use focal length. What I did not
like about the Minilux was its size and even more its ergonomics. Especially
when it comes to flash: the default mode is auto flash, while my own default
mode is no flash. To go from auto flash to no flash I had to press a small
button 7 times--and when I turned the camera off it returned to the auto mode.
This finally became so irritating that I dumped the thing.

I now use a Rollei 35 with its excellent 2.8/40mm Sonnar lens. It has the only
electronic thing I need--a light meter--and the lack of a rangefinder or
autofocus has proved to be relatively unproblematic. I am almost always able to
estimate the distance well enough to be within the lens's DOF, and if the light
is good I just set the lens to its hyperfocal distance and forget about it.
This little Rollei is a real gem.

Nathan