Subject: Re: [Leica] Canadians, slavery and the health care system: OT...oh and Nazis too [No Nazis]
From: brad daly <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 20:23:15 -0500

On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 07:47  PM, Tim Atherton wrote:

> I read a while back that apparently so many seniors are doing it, that
> the
> good ole' US Government is trying to find a way to put a stop to it, in
> order to protect the extortionate monopoly of the drug companies  :-)

i think technically it's illegal to import pharmaceuticals without a
license, which is technically what grandma is doing when she gets her
vioxx in canada.  the evil companies--ur, um, sorry--drug companies,
would, of course, love it stopped so they can continue to gouge
consumers and spend, what is it, five times more on advertising than on
research and development.  the folks they own in congress are trying to
make it more difficult.  fortunately,  there's a pretty large public
groundswell FOR the importation of drugs for personal use.  the senate
recently passed a bill to make it legal for people to import up to, i
think, a three-month supply.  i'm not sure if the house has passed
similar legislation and if bush has vetoed it, which i suspect he'd do
since he's a wholly-owned subsidiary of corporate USA, inc.

at any rate, they catch little.  my canadian allegra--which is OTC up
there--came USPS.

the other thing the drug companies do is stretch out patents on drugs.
when a patent is about to expire, and a cheaper generic alternative drug
will become available, they often file lawsuits, and/or frivolous new
patents--several times based on things as trivial and new pill color or
packaging--at which point there is an automatic patent extension while
the matter is considered.  there's a strong movement in congress to cut
back on this.

- --
brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly/paw.html

"There's no way drugs can affect music in a negative way."
	--Brian Wilson

"I pledge allegiance to Queen Frag and her mighty state of hysteria."
	--Calvin and Hobbes

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg