Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Tamarkins & toilets
From: Pat Perez <pat@patperez.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:02:07 -0700 (PDT)

Designed for a Hasselblad and used to film the candle
lit scene in Barry Lyndon?

I thought that Kubrick used Arriflex cameras
exclusively? And I've never heard of a Hasselblad
motion picture camera (which certainly doesn't mean it
doesn't exist!) But if it were a repurposed MF camera
lens (and maybe it was the giant lens they made for
NASA), it seems unsuitable since 35mm motion picture
film is roughly 18x24mm and a fast lens designed for
6x6 would have disadvantages in wide open performance
since it is covering so much unused image circle.

I recall a hoax of a lens they showed at some camera
show probably in the 50s or 60s when superspeed lenses
were all the rage, image quality be damned. The front
element was something like 12 inches in diameter and
it was much faster than .95

Pat