Subject: Re: [Leica] Small pocketable camera
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 01:54:59 -0700

I can recommend several, depending on what you want out of it.

Olympus XA - super-small, rangefinder focusing, aperture-priority AE
metering, pretty good quality but in no way a threat to Leica in terms
of absolute image quality. I do have shots that I am damn pround of from
my XA though, and some 16 X 20 enlargements that are very nice.

Leica Mini3 - nice size, great lens, however it is an auto-everything
motorized P&S, and though not expensive, it is not in production and
must be acquired used. One of my favorie P&S cameras, I have several 20
X 30 and 24 X 36 inch prints from my Mini3 - the lens performs!

Minox 35 GT - Like the Oly XA, the GT is very small and has a good
aperture-preferred AE system. However, like the Rollei 35 it is
guess-focusing. Lens quality is great though, when you manage to guess
right :-) I find the Minox a lot easier to operate than th Rollei 35,
and a lot smaller (and less expensive).

Minilux: yes, not small, but much more pocketable than the M (jacket
pocket anyway).  The Aperture-priority AE is excellent, I use mine for
slides all the time, and the lens is fantastic. Auto-focus is reasonably
fast too, if you get used to pre-focusing the shutter lag is tolerable.
It is a bit of a tank overall, and not a very quiet camera due to the
motorized nature of its operation. In many cases I'll use the Mini3
instead of the Minilux because it is smaller and faster to operate,
though the Minilux gives you a lot more control and has a more standard
focal length lens.

A Leica CL comes to mind as a good option too, though I do not have one
to coment on directly.

There are some very nice old Olympus 35mm camaeras that I like to play
with, and though not the smallest of pocket cameras, I do consider them
pocketable. The Olympus 35 DC or RD make excellent pocket rangefinders,
both having fast f1.7 lenses and some control over the exposure (manual
is not meter coupled, but it is there). These cameras cost less than a
Leica lens shade too.

Finally, check out some of the excellent commentary at
www.cameraquest.com - you will find lots of pocket cameras to ponder there.

Cheers!
- - marc