Subject: RE: [Leica] POW New Photos: Boys of Summer - Now how to copy my (Leica ) slides and prints
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:57:22 -0500

Phongphong@metrowerks.com (Phong)8/28/023:52 PM

>The main problem was with getting the "film" plane parallel with the
>slide on the table.   I will try using a level and see if that improves
>things.
>
>I didn't try copying prints; any suggestions with that ?

Ah yes the old parallel/copy issues. If you intend to actually do a significant amount of copy
work, whether slides or prints, you would do yourself a favor by actually installing a copy setup
somewhere. By that I mean making or buying a copy stand which allows you to bolt the camera down
and be fairly certain that the film plain and the copy plain are parallel and centered in relation
to each other. Some incredible buys have come up on the auction site that shall remain nameless. I
watched a really beefy Linhof copy stand go for $50 a year ago (the thing probably cost $2K 40
years ago). The old slide duplicators are also going out the door for peanuts and give you
dichroic color balance capabilities.

If you've never had a good copy stand you probably can't imagine what a joy they are for the kind
of web work you could do with your D60. Mark the column with marks for 35mm slide, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10,
etc. and you could have digital files from everything in minutes.

George