Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Digilux use by professionals
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:55:47 -0700 (PDT)

Leica seems to only have two streams of thought where
digital is concerned. If you look at basic digital
they do a minor tweak of someone else's camera.  If
you talk a digital M it is too expensive because they
look at doing it entirely on their own.  I would think
they could simply take the guts of the Digilux and
place it in an M body (certainly is plenty of room
since the Digilux is already smaller). Then you would
have the M form factor and the M lenses.  That has to
be MUCH less expensive to develop than doing one from
scratch.

Lecia is never going to have the financial strength of
the giants like Nikon and Canon...so they have to
resort to guerilla product development tactics.  What
they do have is a dedicated base of customers that
most companies would envy. How many other companies
are selling a &#34;technical&#34; product designed
before many of their customers were born? But they
need to do more than an M7 to keep it moving forward.

I've done quite a bit of technical product development
in my career, and this can be done if there is a will
to do it, and if they believe the market is there.
- --- Steve Huntley &lt;rshuntl@netscape.net&gt; wrote:
&gt;    I'm an amateur but I'm mightily impressed by
my
&gt; new Digilux 1. And I can understand why pros are
&gt; going for it. At my newspaper as recently as just
&gt; over a year ago, several of the photogaphers used
&gt; M6s; then the paper closed its darkroom and went
&gt; digital and now those photographers use the Nikon
&gt; camera. To my way of thinking, this should be a
loud
&gt; message to Leica, the future  is digital and
there
&gt; should be a digital M camera. I'm no electronics
&gt; expert by any means and I don't know if the
&gt; technology is far enough advanced to cram the
needed
&gt; electronics into the current M body (I gather 6
mp
&gt; is the standard for pros now). But the technology
is
&gt; growing by leaps and bounds, and a digital M
&gt; shouldn't be that far away.
&gt;