Subject: Re: [Leica] m6 bags
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:44:27 +0200

The Hadley is the ultimate bag, IMO, and will easily take two bodies and
three or four lenses, plus plenty of film and notebooks, etc. I have spent
literally weeks walking around in monsoon downpours with this bag over my
shoulder and never had any leaks into the interior; it's the only bag in its
size I've ever seen that is really rainproof. The stud closures are very
practical and quick to operate, the bag conforms well to the body and is
well-padded without being over stiff. And the fabric is extremely hard
wearing, and machine washable. I have the standard size, and can easily
carry 30+ rolls of film, two cameras, three lenses, and note taking
equipment, cellphones, etc. plus (if necessary) a rolled up rain jacket on
top. It bulges a bit with the jacket in there, but so what. It's not a bag
for the organisationally minded, you have to just shove everything in, but
that is not a problem for me, at least.

Another excellent bag which will easily take two bodies with lenses mounted
and a good amount of film is the Alice, which has more or less the same
functional characteristics as the Hadley. I used one for a year in India
once, carrying two R6's (one with motor) and three lenses plus a metz 32Z
flash, and it worked extremely well, although it was slightly overpacked.
Again, you have to accept that things are going to be rubbing against each
other a bit. But it's boxier than the Hadley.

I've seen (but not used) the domke's and they don't seem to be anywhere near
as well made, and the cover is definitely nothing like as rainproof. People
swear by them. The main advantage I can see is that the satchels are more
suitable for carrying notbooks, maybe a subnotebook along with the camera
equipment, which is definitely very useful for a journalistic application.

"Enough! or too much."

R.