Subject: Re: VERY OT - RE: [Leica] R9 scoop/ot
From: John Nebel <nebel@csdco.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 19:41:55 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Austin Franklin wrote:

> > Multiple processor Intel systems run on what I understand is a version of
> > Unix.....a special version......and even if THAT is wrong, I do know that
> > the resemblance of the correct OS to anything you have at a
> > normal home, is
> > purely fictional....
>
> Well, NT and subsequent OSs have always been able to run on multiple CPUs.
> The chief architect of NT etc. was Dave Cutler, who came to Microsoft from
> Digital Equipment Corporation, where he was one of the architects of VMS,
> which is one of the better/best/most advanced operating systems ever
> developed.  There was always a "joke" about VMS - WNT...note that it's
> merely a one letter advance in sequence, just like HAL and IBM from 2001...
> Cutler moved MS out of the toy OS realm to a  professional level OS realm.
>
> Until Dave arrived at Microsoft, they (MS) didn't really have a clue about
> advanced OS development...and their best effort was Win 3.1, which, from a
> reliability/usability standpoint was a disaster.  NT, and subsequent NT
> based products have been far far better than anything MS has ever done as
> far as OSs go.
>
> Anyway, NT and subsequent OSs support clustering and multiple processors
> etc. and do so somewhat well as a matter of fact.  You can thank Digital for
> that (as well as a host of other things you probably aren't aware of that
> came directly from development at Digital).
>
> Austin
>
> --

Austin,

You sound well-informed on the DEC/MS connection, but as a VMS fanatic, I
must speak up to say that NT (and subsequent OS) SMP, clustering, and
reliability are still pretty weak in spite of Digital's influence. I
realize you never said they were especially strong, but the Microsoft way
of doing things appears to have won out over DEC's well-engineered,
well-documented, hardware fault tolerant approach.

On the Unix and VMS machines here a year's uptime is not all that
uncommon.

More on topic - I've got over a terabyte of images (some of it originating
on equipment made by Leica) and use VMS for storage so the images will
not disappear if power fails, a virus arrives, a hacker attacks, or
someone sneezes.

John Nebel