Subject: [Leica] LUG daytrip in DC area - Sat., October 12th
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 06:49:58 -0700 (PDT)

All...

Steve LeHuray and I have been kicking around some ideas for a fun LUG day-trip /
photo-shoot and have come up with what we think may be a winner: a free,
reservation-only, docent-guided tour of the National Air and Space Museum's
[NASM] Paul E. Garber Preservation, Restoration, and Storage Facility in
Suitland, Maryland.

The Garber facility is where the NASM preserves and stores aircraft, spacecraft,
and other aerospace related artifacts, and is contained within 32 buildings.  The
guided tour goes through only 3 of the larger buildings, including the actual
restoration shop, where you can ask questions of the professionals that work
there.  All of the exhibits of the NASM building on the Mall first came through
the Garber facility.

Each artifact at the Garber location has a story behind it and there are all
sorts of one-of-a-kind pieces of historical significance.  One of my favorites is
the Horten IX (Gotha Go 229) flying wing from WWII Nazi Germany, which has a skin
molded out of *plywood*.  The example on display at the Garber is one of the few
remaining in the entire world; details about it [and actual photos of the example
at Garber] can be found here:
http://www.hotel.wineasy.se/ipms/stuff_eng_detail_hoix.htm

Many other examples that are on display I have only seen in old photos, and I did
not realize there were existing craft still available for viewing and
*PHOTOGRAPHING*.  The Garber facility allows photos [flash and available light,
handheld and tripod, still and video] to be taken throughout the *entire* tour.

Having recently taken the tour through Garber, I am planning on returning with a
tripod and a wide-angle lens, as my Noct and SF 20 were swallowed by the dark,
cavernous interiors of the storage spaces and the dark paint of the aircraft.

Details about Garber, the tour, directions, etc. can all be found here:
http://www.nasm.si.edu/nasm/garber/Garber.html

All interested parties, please let me know ASAP.  If there are 10 folks or less,
I can setup the reservations via phone; larger parties require a fax reservation
and a *lot* of lead time.

Regards,

/Mitch