Subject: Re: [Leica] My first band shots
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:10:57 -0500

> To be clear I'm not recommending the shooting of Neopan 1600 at 3200 in Xtol.
> I don't think Xtol is good for adding extra speed to films.
> Neopan 1600 at 3200 in Xtol is going to give you weak shadows no matter
> how much time you leave it in there but maybe I'm wrong.

> I'd love to see a test between the tree fast films in Xtol.
> I got a grain mezzo effect from the T-Max 3200 in Rodinal, in Neopan
> 1600 it was barley grainy at all.
> That and the price of the T-Max 3200 film I've not shot it in years.
> But it could work differently in Xtol and could be better than Neopan
> certainly better than that Delta 3200 which is a film I'm becoming not
> fond of.

Well I'll add in my $2. Do NOT push Neopan I cannot get that film to look
good in low light and get the best results when pulling it to 800. If you
want to shoot at 3200 buy 3200 speed film. I think the Delta looks pretty
good but then all Im really after is a neg that I get some sort of
highlights and decent shadows when shooting in the dark. I'm not close to
being educated when it comes to comparing films etc. Anyway the few times
I've done band shots in B&W were Delta in Xtol 1:2 shot at 2000 to 3200.
I've done some with Neopan but only in more evenly lit stages...
- --
John Straus
Chicago, IL
http://SlideOne.com