Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: R9 scoop
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:07:36 -0500

B. D. Colenbdcolen@earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)8/21/027:24 PM

>A ratched film advance, which the M has, does not force you to take the
>advance lever all the way through it's swing in a single arc, but allows
>you
>to, in effect, turn any camera in to an M3DS...there are many times when
>it
>is helpful to be able to advance the film with a couple of half strokes,
>rather than a full one...

The Nikon F100 has no film advance lever at all. How can you live without it? ;-) And many times
I'd rather advance the film with a lever than the winder or motor, ratcheted or not. And for what
ever it's worth - the R8 gearing provides a very short, smooth stroke.

Something seems strange about ranting about the feature set or lack thereof for any particular
imaging system over another. Bottom line - each of us finds a comfort level with our equipment -
whether ancient technology or state of the art circuit boards. Personally I enjoy working with
Leica M and R because of their minimal feature set. I've always enjoyed the KISS concept.

George