Subject: RE: [Leica] R9 scoop...digital
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:39:54 -0400

Commitment 'towards' is a little late, Pascal. If I remember correctly sales
of the R line were reported down some 18 percent last year. While there are
those who will go to their graves with their Rs clutched in their "cold,
dead fingers," most people who want SLRs voted with their feet a long time
ago. Meanwhile, we have Nikon and Canon with 6 meg. digital bodies in the
$2000 range, and whether people here want to acknowledge it or not, glass
good enough for most of the world's leading photographers. For Leica to come
out in 18 months, two years, with a digital SLR at we well know how high a
price, that is either still a manual focus, or an auto focus that requires
an investment in all new lenses, would be a doomed effort. After all, who's
going to buy it? Obviously the comparative handful of dedicated R8 users,
and that's not going to support the R line.

I would suggest that, ironically, if Leica wants to keep it's SLR line
alive, it needs to stop thinking about 'Leica quality' - peeling rubber,
etc. etc. ;-) - and make a quick deal with Fuji to put out a rebadged
version of the new $2440? Fuji digital body with it's 6/12 meg CCD,
reconfigured with a Leica R lens mount. Now THAT might sell to the R lens
owners who want to try digital, and to other photographers who want to use
Leica glass, but don't want to invest in an entire new system

But of course all of this speculation is just that, as we know full well
Solms dances to the tune of some gnome drummer somewhere in the Black
Forest, rather than to the rhythms of the modern photo world.;-)

B. D.