Subject: RE: [Leica] R9 scoop
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:10:16 -0400

> ...unless the R9 turns out to either incorporate
> autofocus, using present lenses, or is a digital - using present lenses.

Hi B.D.,

To do autofocus, using present manual focus lenses, the film plane would
have to move.  This was done by Contax.  It's called the AX.  It's a
fabulous camera, but BIG...quite thick.  It works quite well, but isn't very
fast.  Though I like the AX as a very excellent camera, and an engineering
marvel, it was not very successful commercially.

Contax and Leica are sort of in similar positions...but it appears Contax
has quite a jump on Leica, with the new N series autofocus and digital
cameras.  I really don't know what Leica could do at this point.

Austin