Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R 135mm 2.8, 3 cam, ser7 v. can
From: "Douglas Herr"<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:24:42 -0700

> with the exception of veiling flare the lens
> does a good job with reasonably fine detail.
> Into strong light colors desaturate.

I have also heard that the Canadian version is better in the corners at full
aperture.  I don't know about the Canadian lens' flare performance but I agree
with Don Dory re: the older German 135's flare.

> If you are seeing a really good sale price
> great, it is a nice performer, and a great
> performer by the standards of the sixties.
> However, take a look at any of the 90 2.8's
> which are very fine indeed, any of the 180's
> including the much overlooked 180 F4.0.

Among the things I like about the 180 f/4 (vs. the 135) are the lighter weight
and closer minimum focus.  The 180 Elmar is often priced close to the late 135
so if f/2.8 isn't critical, the 180 f/4 is worth a look.

Doug Herr<BR>Birdman of Sacramento<BR>http://www.wildlightphoto.com