Subject: Re: [Leica] X-raying of film by overnight couriers
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:10:41 +0200 (MEST)

> To lighten my load when travelling to Hawaii in October, I'm thinking of
> overnighting all my unexposed film to the place I'll be staying at. Last
> year I travelled to Hawaii on 10/7, the day we starting bombing
> Afghanistan, and no one at the gate was in a mood to give me the legally
> required hand check of film when I asked for it. (I'm a lawyer but know
> when not to press the issue.) My ISO 100, 400 and 800 films went through
> with no ill effects, but I'd rather not chance it again, especially
> since I plan on taking some 1600 stock.

Jeffery,
I'm in the same situation. I'm leaving for Harare, Zimbabwe on Tuesday,
passing through Amsterdam and Nairobi. So far, I haven't heard of any
problems taking hand-baggage through. My local airport now warns that
unprocessed film in _check-in_ baggage will be ruined. Many airports have
moved over to another system since last year and it does clobbered film.
But once again ... this is in baggage that has been checked in, not
hand-baggage.

My guess is that _all_ freight-services x-ray the packages much the same
way the airlines do with checkin baggage. But then again ... we do order
film post-order, so I'm probably wrong.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] X-raying of film by overnight couriers)